The Artist Formerly Known as Oehm-Doggy

The day-to-day adventures of a naive mid-westerner living in the heart of lala land...

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Brit and Kev

I figure that since I spend most of my day working on very "serious" stuff like government grants and reading things like Education Weekly, I have to balance my life by engaging in some really superficial hobbies when I'm not at work. My silly interest of choice is celebrity gossip. I read Ted Casablanca religiously. I buy Star, US Weekly and In Touch every time I get on an airplane. I have a subscription to People. I watched Newlyweds. It follows that I was jazzed when I heard that Britney Spears and Kevin Federline were getting a reality show on UPN that covered their "courtship, engagement and wedding". I was really looking forward watching it, especially since the season finale of the Gilmore Girls preceded it last night (still don't understand how Lorelei proposed to Luke when they haven't even said I love you!). The Britster let me down though. Chaotic was so dumb that I kept looking at the clock to see if it was almost over. Not only did the shakiness of the home video camera give me a headache, Kevin is a greaseball and Britney, although I still love her, spent the whole hour making stupid faces into the camera and making comments about sex. I know that this whole show is supposed to be about the viewers seeing what the grownup Britney is really like, but JEEZUS it was over the top. I was a 23 year old a mere 2 years ago. I too was drinking and smoking and having sex. I did not, however, feel the need to talk about those things ALL OF THE TIME. The Britster seems to need a hobby. Maybe the baby will serve that purpose for her. When it is all said and done, I will probably still watch next week's episode, and the next and the next. I could say that it's like a trainwreck and I just can't stop watching, but the truth is...I guess I just don't want to be left out of a pop culture event that will likely be discussed in all of my magazines and gossip columns. It's pathetic, but hey, if you ever need to know who is dating whom and what crazy names celebrities give to their children, I'm your girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home